There are 11 zone types represented in Madden, and the associated player responsibility
Deep (dark blue) zone: covering all, 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 of the field past 10 yards deep (depending on the number of players in deep zone)
Cover 2 concepts Edit
- Mid Read (yellow)
- Reads formation passing strength pre-snap, will drop back to cover potential deep middle threats.
- Vulnerable to Levels route concepts
- Vert Hook (yellow)
- Used by outside edge players in cover 2. Sit in hook coverage, will convert to man on vertical routes
- Vulnerable to out routes
- Hard Flat (light blue)
- Outside short areas. Effective for picking off underneath routes.
- Vulnerable to deep corner routes.
- Soft Squat (light blue)
- Converts to man coverage on deep routes. Will jump underneath on out routes.
- Vulnerable to inside short routes.
- Cloud Flat (light blue)
- Outside deep and short areas, with priority on deep outside.
- Vulnerable to curl/flat route combos.
Cover 3 Concepts Edit
- Hook Curl (yellow)
- Used by inside defender in Cover 3. Protect inside short and intermediate. Can drop into flats coverage
- Vulnerable to vertical routes
- Curl Flat (purple)
- Outside intermediate and short areas of Cover 3, with priority on intermediate.
- Vulnerable to zig routes, RB underneath routes
- Seam Flat (purple)
- Outside edge in Cover 3. May match out breaking routes and can convert to man against vertical inside routes
- Vulnerable to inside short routes, zig routes, RB underneath
Cover 4 Concepts Edit
- Quarter Flat (purple)
- Outside edge area of Cover 4. May match breaking routes and carry vertical inside routes (before handoff to deep zones)
- Vulnerable to inside short routes, RB underneath routes
- 3 Rec Hook (yellow)
- Inside short and intermediate field areas. Initial drop towards #3 receiver in formation (also used in cover 1)
- Vulnerable to out and vertical routes
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.